18 January 2006

Ooh to be an unpaid labourer!

I have spent the last two days interning which is an art I am slowly perfecting. Say yes to everything and anything they ask you to do. Try not to be annoying. Act enthusiastic even when they send you out to some random photo shoot with children and rabbits and you have to hold one of those anti-glare white screens and its 31 degrees outside.

Everything has to be put into perspective really because everything is an “opportunity”. Everything is a “foot in the door” of a career in journalism.

Actually its more of an excuse for them to get you do things that normally some other poor person would be doing. I had low expectations when I started at this mag which was probably a good thing. This way I can get excited when I get an article or at least something publishable to write. So far I haven’t written anything. Just phoned around, “sub-edited” and wrote a synopsis.

It would probably be different at a bigger magazine of course. They would have more staff, (read more oestrogen pumping around the office) and perhaps more telesales girls wearing miniskirts and boobtubes. Maybe they would have clothes and accessories too because so far I haven’t seen any.

I miss having cabcharges.

Just a thought.

I can't believe the Premier resigned...I'm glad he was brave enough to step down it takes a lot of courage to do that. But now I'm not sure about the other would-be-next-Premier contenders...I don't think that they can replace the untiring optimism of Dr Gallop. The Liberal vultures are lurking...

T

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes - McGinty or Carpenter. I go for Carpenter. I also know McGinty's niece and she is a little bit on the snobby side i have heard. Also apparently, McGinty did do abit of power stuff a while back as premier i think; apparently he sucked at it. So whether or not he has shaped up i'm not sure. Being on the border of pro feminism - how come there aren't any women as candidates? Much disappointed

10:34 AM  
Blogger Natasha said...

Well Carpenter won. I think McGinty has some osrt of 6 degrees of separation thing going on. Someone always knows someone who knows him. Its so strange. But he's not as popular. Carpenter is going to have to work it to be as popular as Gallop. As for the female candidates, the women in the WA Labor party have never fared well under the scrutinous eye of the media. Women attract more negative media attention than men, especially in politics. Although Ravlich may be a slight exception since she's always in STM...

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home