10 January 2006

Honey and the Moon - Listening, Watching, Reading

LISTENING: My new favourite song is Honey and the Moon by Joseph Arthur. It’s one of the songs from the OC soundtrack mix 1 CD. The only problem with having a favourite song is that you can listen to it over and over and not get sick of it. But then you might not have listened to it enough to even recall the lyrics. Right now all I can remember is something like: Right now everything is falling down/ and right now all I want to do is/ take you to the shore

The real lyrics go: But right now
Everything you want is wrong,
And right now
All your dreams are waking up,
And right now
I wish that I could follow you
To the shores
Of freedom
Where no one lives

WATCHING: I watched Russian Dolls yesterday and it was a pretty good movie. It had the touch of Euro-weird-comedy in it which I really found amusing. I liked the view the movie had on life and relationships especially the last line where the main character (while typing out his memoirs on an iBook - does this sound familiar) compares his girlfriends to babushkas. You just have to keep on opening the dolls, embarking on new relationships and not know if the current ‘doll’ is going to be the final doll or rather The One. Its all part of the journey I suppose.
My favourite parts of the film were:
- when Xavier and his lesbian friend pretend to be engaged so that he can introduce a ‘fiance’ to his grandfather, meanwhile she starts ranting about the economy and how important it is to know how the markets are doing.
- the massive Kookai store. I knew Kookai was a French chain but actually seen a huge Kookai store in Paris made me start laughing. Then Xavier hooks up with the Kookai chick after buying a dress for his ex girlfriend
- the part when a girl Xavier used to be in love with is running down the street buck naked and he goes running after her naked as well. Its too random.

The actor who plays Xavier is kind of cute. He has the whole I-have-a-hot-French-accent thing going for him and he’s dark and handsome. Even though in some parts of the movie he engages in prick behaviour.

I hunted down the prequel to this movie, the Spanish Apartment and am fighting the urge to watch it straight away...

READING: I am currently reading Behind the Moon by Hsu-Ming Teo. It explores the relationship between three misfit-type characters growing up in multicultural Australia and how their families coincide. I love how the author hits the Singlish right on the head, I love the character Annabelle who has an obsession about keeping toilets clean, its hilarious! But the characters all have a darker side to them, and they're repressed and lonely. (In case one's thinking this is a comedic novel). I also want to read her first novel but will need to go to the library for that one.


T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home