05 April 2008

I want to dance with somebody

I've always been a fan of ballet. As an eight year old I dreamt of being a ballerina. I came up with this exquisite poem in year 3.

When I grow up I want to be, dancing at His Majesty's.

I thought it was so clever, considering everyone else's a) did not rhyme and b) were astutely boring.

In my classical ballet class my favourite moment was just before the end of class, when my teacher would turn up a CD and let us "free dance" - choreograph our own spectacular solo performances. This really involved seven little girls running around the studio, leaping and turning and trying not to crash into each other.

I took "free dance" very, very seriously. I would watch myself in the mirror and throw in as many leaps as I could. Leaps were the bestest.

Alas, I never did make it as a professional ballerina. With no stage parents to send me to classes twice a week, I could only practice in my living room and wasn't able to sit examinations.

On my 21st birthday I went to a performance of the Nutcracker at the Lincoln Centre in New York City. No piss up 21st for me, just fulfilling my childhood dream in a different way.

The New York City Ballet now has its own You Tube channel where you can watch the company on tour in London. It's fascinating, candid and emotive and also scored with funky tracks from UK artists.

New York City Ballet - You Tube Channel


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home